As a biological dentistry practice, we actively advocate that daily flossing is not only essential for oral health but also adds over six years to your life expectancy by reducing oral bacteria which travel through your bloodstream all over your body, including your heart.
Dr. Joseph Mercola recently drew awareness to PFAS (man-made chemicals) compounds used in the chemical makeup of some brands of dental floss.
The Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology from Silent Spring Institute, in collaboration with University of California, examined blood samples of 178 women (Caucasian and African American), and found higher levels of PFA’s (polyfluoroalkyls) and PTFE (polytetrafluoroethylene) in Oral B, Glide and others.
We have researched and found the following brands of waxed dental floss without PFAS compounds, all available on Amazon.
- Radius Vegan – nylon floss coated with candelilla plant wax
- Desert Essence Tea Tree Oil – nylon floss coated with beeswax
- Tom’s of Maine – nylon floss coated with beeswax, carnauba palm, jojoba oil, myrrh resin extract, propolis (carried by bees) tree resin
- Dr. Tungs – two flosses already labeled as PTFE and PFAS free:
- Dr. Tungs Activated Charcoal Vegan Floss – polyester floss coated with plant wax
- Dr. Tungs Smart Floss – polyester coated with plant wax and beeswax blend
- Young Living – floss coated with soy wax and beeswax, infused with essential oils of Thieves blend and peppermint
- Cocofloss – vegan with coconut oil and labeled PFAS free
- Eco-Dent GentleFloss – nylon floss infused with essential oils and coated with plant wax
- Eco-Dent Vegan Floss – nylon vegan waxed floss
Unwaxed floss may be optimal for removing bacteria, but many patients find it doesn’t slide as easily through their teeth.
For your optimal health, please don’t give up on flossing! Switch brands instead!