Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART)
The Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART) is a stringent set of preventive measures taken while replacing mercury amalgam fillings in patients. This protocol is especially valuable to patients concerned with minimizing their exposure to mercury vapor during routine dental procedures. This technique was developed by the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology.
Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique Precautions:
- A slurry of activated charcoal is used as a pretreatment rinse to reduce the risk of mercury absorption during the procedure
- A dental dam is utilized to isolate the tooth and provide a barrier between the oral cavity and any mercury vapor
- Medical grade oxygen delivered via a nasal mask
- High volume vacuum to suction the release of mercury vapor
- Copious amounts of water
- Protective garments for the patient, dentist, and staff
- Air purifiers to remove mercury vapor from the office
- A mercury separator is used to prevent the release of mercury into the environment
We are proud to diligently follow every step of the SMART protocol. Please click here to review the full checklist of SMART protocol precautions we use.